The FCC Bike Swap for 2020 has been canceled due to COVID-19 concerns. We are sorry for any inconveniences. We look forward to the 2021 bike swap and a more normal life!
The FCC Bike Swap is an all-volunteer event we organize for people to buy and sell used bikes and biking equipment. We want to make it easy for people to get out biking!
The 2019 FCC Bike Swap will be on Sunday, May 19, in the east parking lot at Pioneer Park. The schedule will be:
- Check-in/gear drop off: 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Sale: 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- Cash-out/unsold gear pick-up: 3 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Bring your bikes and bike-related stuff to the “Check-in/gear drop off.” You fill out and sign some paperwork, and we sell as much of it as we can for you for a commission. Return at the “Cash-out/unsold gear pick-up” time and pick up your bucks and unsold items, and sign out. See below for more details on selling your gear.
Looking to buy? Merchandise is laid out on tables, bikes are in bike racks, and a little bit (or a lot of) everything is there. There are frequently great deals to be had. You can spend a little or spend a lot. Volunteer experts will be on hand to assist with advice, fit, minor adjustments, and more.
Safe Kids, USA, and Fairbanks Volunteers in Policing often put on a Kids Bike Rodeo in conjunction with our Bike Swap. It appears to be fun, judging by all the kids there having a blast. The rodeo includes a course that kids can ride around the course, avoiding the cones (they run them over, too!), learning how to hand signal, stop, and all that good stuff. Free helmets provided by Kinross Fort Knox, and loaner bikes provided by FCC and Goldstream Sports!
Sometimes there are representatives from groups like Far North BMX, UAF Green Bikes, Tour de Cure, and so on. They’ll have handouts and schedules and so on, and can answer questions about their groups.
See below for more information on selling.
DETAILS FOR SELLERS
If you’re unsure of a price for your item(s), use these pricing resources:
- Bicycle Blue Book: https://www.bicyclebluebook.com
- Ebay (new and used; search or browse in sporting goods): https://www.ebay.com
- Amazon (generally for newer equipment): https://www.amazon.com
How to mark your stuff to sell:
You will need a Consignment Form and some tags and/or stickers. Both will be provided at the swap, but you can download and fill in the Consignment Form now (see link above). A picture of the instructions and an example of a filled out form can be found here.
Directions for the form:
- Clearly write your name (LAST NAME FIRST).
- List and briefly describe the items you are selling.
- Write down your asking price.
- Write down the lowest price you will take.
- The lowest price info will be available only to the bike swap volunteers.
- If you leave the lowest price blank, then the Asking Price is firm.
- Leave the Sold column blank.
- SELLING A BIKE? Want to donate it to UAF Green Bikes or FCC if it doesn’t sell? If so, mark the form.
- Read the disclaimer; sign and date the form.
- Turn in your form.
- Your form will be given a number if it doesn’t already have one.
Directions for the tags and stickers
- Write your last name and the item number.
- Item number is the “Form Number (FCC Use Only)” PLUS the “#” from left side of form.
- If there is room on the label, put the item’s name (ex: floor pump).
- Write your asking price.
- Put your labels/stickers securely on the item.
- Give the items to a volunteer.
Here’s a PDF of the Consignment Form instructions, if you prefer that format.