Moose Mountain – Rabbit Trail: 8/30/2017
Flaherty Wins the Moose Mountain-Rabbit Trail Race of Rocky Dirt Series
By Eric Troyer
Tyson Flaherty tamed the sometimes wild Moose Mountain – Rabbit Trail mountain bike race on Wednesday night, finishing 9 minutes ahead of Sam Delamere, the first youth to finish. Delamere was also one of three entrants riding on a fatbike. Flaherty’s time was 1 hour, 6 minutes while Delamere finished in 1 hour, 15 minutes.
Eleven riders came out to the race on August 30, the last of the Rocky Dirt Series mountain bike races for the season.
Wes Wagner rounded out the podium, coming in third, with a time of 1 hour, 20 minutes. Alisabeth Thurston-Hicks finished first for women and fifth place overall at 1 hour, 35 minutes. Corrine Leistikow, the only other female rider, finished second for women and tenth overall at 1 hour, 55 minutes. All results below.
The 12-mile loop course climbs Moose Mountain and has a total elevation gain of 2,200 feet. The first part uses easily rideable trails, including the Moose Mountain powerline and Old Murphy Dome Road, but the return includes a glorified game trail that has some challenging rooty sections. Fortunately, the rain held off, making the roots a bit easier to navigate.
Thanks to Erica Betts for putting on the series. Thanks to Geoff Orth, Forrest Sutton, and Eric Troyer for marking the course. Apologies for any name misspellings.
Moose Mountain-Rabbit Trail (Rocky Dirt Series) 08/30/2017
1. Tyson Flaherty 1 hour, 6 minutes
2. Sam Delamere (fatbike) 1st youth 1 hour, 15 minutes
3. Westlin Wagner 1 hour, 20 minutes
4. Peter Delamere (fatbike) 1 hour, 24 minutes
5. Alisabeth Thurston-Hicks 1st woman 1 hour, 35 minutes
6. Greg Kahoe 1 hour, 36 minutes
7. Ethan Helgager 1 hour, 40 minutes
8. Chris Wyatt (fatbike) 1 hour, 50 minutes
9. Eli Wyatt (youth) 1 hour, 52 minutes
10. Corrine Leistikow 1 hour, 55 minutes
11. Daniel Bormley 2 hours, 6 minutes