Sounds bad, but the rides are fun. A clean group of well-attired men (who self-describe as “elderly and harmless”). Women have been known to participate and are not discouraged. You’ll have to attend a SCUM ride to find out where the name “SCUM” comes from. Spoiler: It’s not as scary as it sounds.
- Who: All are welcome. (Especially if they bring zucchini bread!) Fairbanks Cycle Club membership required. (Anyone can join one FCC ride as a guest. After that membership is required. One-day memberships are available.)
- What: Road rides. Usually last between 1.5 and 2 hours. Pace is 15-18mph.
- When: Sundays (10am start), unless otherwise noted.
- Where: Meet at the Patty Center parking lot on the University of Alaska campus, unless otherwise noted. (Look for the bikes.) Ride schedule below (though the ride route may change, depending upon who shows up).
- Contact: Greg Kahoe: email@example.com; (907) 371-9028 text or call is ok.
- End of season note: There will certainly be riders who push the boundaries of sanity and comfort to keep riding road bikes as long as possible. Meeting times may revert to a later start (i.e. 11am), as summer draws to a close. Contact Greg for ride updates.
- Wednesday rides: Because of the low number of riders we’ve had in the past on Wednesdays, we are not planning rides for Wednesday evenings. Once summer is well underway, there may be some rides to/from Black Spruce Brewery, or some other location, on those or other days.
- When viewing the calendar on your phone, turn your phone sideways.
|Date and time||Route description||Distance (miles)|
|4/30/2023||On your own. Time to dust off that road bike, lube the chain and pump up tires. Put on some miles this week, so we can ride on May 7.||Your choice|
|5/7/2023||CW up Goldhill-Parks monument-Old Nenana-Goldhill||30|
|5/14/2023||(Mother's Day) Sheep Creek-Murphy Dome to end of pavement and back||30|
|5/21/2023||CW around Sheep Creek-Fox-Old Steese-Farmers Loop||30|
|5/28/2023||Gold Hill-Old Nenana and back||30|
|6/4/2023||Farmers Loop-McGrath-Steele Creek-CHSR-Farmers Loop||33|
|6/11/2023||Sheep Creek-Murphy Dome to end of pavement and back||30|
|6/18/2023||CW around Sheep Creek-Fox-Old Steese-Farmers Loop||30|
|6/25/2023||Gold Hill-Old Nenana and back||30|
|7/2/2023||(July 4th holiday) CCW up Goldhill-Parks-Cripple Creek-Rosie Creek-Chena Pump||23|
|7/9/2023||The Pie Run: Ballaine, rt on Goldstream to Fox. Lt on Old Steese, lt on Elliot to Hilltop Truck Stop||38|
|7/16/2023||The Broda’s Steese Ride (Come out to MP 55 and ride with some folks you’ve only heard about. Come for the day or stay the weekend.)||Your choice|
|7/23/2023||Ballaine, rt on Goldstream, Gold Mine trail to Steele Creek, back on Old Steese and Farmers Loop||30|
|7/30/2023||The Pedro Dome Climb: Ballaine, Goldstream, Steese to the top of Pedro Dome and back||40|
|8/6/2023||CW around Sheep Creek-Fox-Old Steese-Farmers Loop||30|
|8/13/2023||CW up Goldhill-Parks monument-Old Nenana-Goldhill||30|
|8/20/2023||Sheep Creek-Murphy Dome to end of pavement and back||30|
|8/26/2023||The Nenana-Rama put on by Black Spruce Brewery. Ride lengths of 50 mi or 100 mi. This is a Saturday ride.||50 or 100|